Gen Z is willing to spend more money on spatial audio

(Icon image: Unsplash/Sandy Kawadkar)

Spatial Audio refers to three-dimensional audio technology such as Dolby Atmos or 3D Audio owned by Apple.

Prior to the survey, nearly half, 49 percent, of those surveyed had heard of Spatial Audio. On the other hand, 51 percent did not know anything about this technology or were not sure whether they had heard of it. 50 percent see less progress in the development of live audio than live video.

Gaming, TV Shows and Movies

When asked in which setting spatial audio experiences play the most important role, gaming came first with 24 percent. TV shows or films come second with 21 percent. Virtual shows and concerts followed with 14 percent in popularity. Audio books/podcasts, online presentations and virtual meetings each account for nine percent. At eight percent, virtual tours of a psychic space and at five percent shopping experiences in stores play the smallest role.

79 percent would buy new headphones for a better listening experience. For 28 percent of those surveyed, the price would be secondary. 26 percent think that the new headphones shouldn’t cost more than $50. 25 percent would not be willing to spend more than $100 for it.

Regarding the Metaverse, 60 percent of Gen Z consumers would prefer to use a service with 3D spatial audio. This means voices and sounds in the virtual environment are heard based on proximity to the noise source. At 34 percent, just over a third were neutral on this question. Only 6 percent say they would not prefer such a service in the Metaverse. Companies like Apple and Meta have already recognized the trend and are increasingly investing in this area. (pte/swi)


As part of the study, Agora surveyed more than 1,500 Generation Z consumers.

(Visited 14 times, 14 visits today)

PREV Cozy Garden Sandbox: Garden In! Will be released in 2023
NEXT Plateau de Bure. With 12 domes, the radio telescope is complete.